Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Broken

My 92-year-old mother, who was making an amazing recovery from encephalitis, fell last night after getting off the phone with me, and broke her femur. Her surgery today went well, as surgeries of this type are wont to do.

It's not a terribly big deal to put broken bones back together, but what about the person who is attached to those bones? How will a woman who, before the encephalitis, was never sick a day in her life deal with the enforced immobility, not to mention the pain? How many amazing recoveries is a body that has been in use since 1918 capable of?

These are some of the things on my mind tonight.

10 comments :

  1. I'm so sorry. She will be in my prayers.

    Jan, in Portland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is heart-breaking as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indigo, she's actually doing pretty well, post-surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy moly, I am sorry to hear about her...best wishes for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She seems like a remarkable woman. Hope the recovery continues to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life is just so ..... unpredictable. I'm glad to hear she is doing well post op. She is in my prayers. You are too.

    ReplyDelete

Followers