Thursday, September 17, 2020

Writing Prompt

 One listless afternoon last week , I sat in the sun room thinking that I would never have anything else to write about. The Covid claustration had lasted almost as long as a pregnancy, and as happens with pregnancy my focus had turned progressively inward, until the external world had all but ceased to exist. Of course the external world is still around, but it is either off limits because of the virus risks, or so alarming and depressing (fires, floods, shootings, politics), that I simply shut it out. 

No, there really was nothing to write about, and probably would never be. This was it: the well had run dry; I had sung my swan song. I was deep into a fantasy of life as a non-writer when my dog Bisou burst into the outraged bark that she reserves for the fox: “out of my yard, you weird-looking dog!” I had been missing the fox’s visits, which had grown rarer now that the spring’s young were on their own, so I got up to take a look. 

There, just a couple of feet from the house and facing away from me was an odd-looking creature, larger than a squirrel but smaller than a fox. The back of its big ears was white rimmed with black. Its fur was tawny, its belly plump, its legs short, its tail stumpy. It was clearly an infant. But whose? 

OMG, I should be taking  photos! My phone was in the room somewhere, but like the apostles on Mount Tabor, I couldn’t bear to take my eyes off the apparition.  I whispered to my spouse to come look. What could it be?

Then the little animal turned to face us and its white cheek tufts gave it away. As did its ultra-fierce, non-cuddly demeanor, its look that said, come near me and I’ll bite off your arm…or maybe your fingertip. And having delivered this threat, it toddled off into the undergrowth. 

Where, I hope, the mother bobcat found it, gave it a good scolding (“you are NOT old enough to hunt squirrels, you hear?”) and took it home. 

I haven’t seen any more bobcats, big or little, since that day, though a near neighbor tells me she has seen what I hope is the mother. But that infant on the prowl has been constantly on my mind. Sometimes I think I’ve dreamed him (or her). And a dozen times every day I look out the sun room windows, just in case he's come back (as if). 

I feel grateful to Nature for sending me this writing prompt just in the nick of time, and for reminding me that the writer’s most important tool is neither intelligence nor inspiration, but the ability to pay attention. Colette wrote that her mother's greatest gift to her, what made her the writer she became, was the single word, "Regarde!" Everything starts with that.



12 comments :

  1. It's hard lately to look outward, especially when I haven't been on my trike for over two weeks! Too hot, bad air quality in California, and ash. I have a very narrow range of temperatures I can think in - my body thermostat doesn't work - so I can only go out between about 66 and 74F, and then only if I'm back inside in half an hour. Delicate.

    The lassitude is real, due to lack of mental stimulation of the normal kind, overlaid with the really bad stuff going on in the Real World.

    I'm trying to use the time to get the middle novel in my trilogy finished, and medication side effects haven't helped. Maybe it's just the stress - but that won't go away for as long as another year.

    Hang in there - this is not permanent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the fires abate and the air improves. Hats off to you for engaging on such a massive project!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, Lali — one of your most heartfelt, finding just the right words, just the right strokes. One day, you and I together will again find just the right notes��.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, let's find the right notes soon, especially now that we can do it indoors.

      Delete
  3. the look was just for you demanding that you engage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I hadn't been indoors, I might have been tempted, regardless of the risk to my fingers.

      Delete
  4. Your depiction of the little bobcat is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was just lovely. I might print it out and re-read it over and over. A true delight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I just love this! And another WOW to a bobcat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Needless to say, after that sighting, I've been keeping an eye out for more bobcats. But no luck so far.

      Delete

Followers