Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Magpie Cat

These days, when you walk into my house, you are met with a barrage of warnings:
"Better hide that scarf inside your coat pocket, or the cat will play with the fringe."
"Let's put your boots in the closet so the cat won't chew the laces."
"Please do NOT leave your purse on the floor, or the cat will rummage in it."
In the past, I've neglected the purse warning, which is how we've ended up with:
#1 a tube of lip balm
#2 a felt zippered bag, containing ear buds
#3 a soft eyeglass case (empty)
#4 many tissues, some used, some not.

Whenever I bring something into the house, even if it's just a stack of mail, Telemann is on it like a flash: What is it? What are you doing with it? Can I have it? Not that I wasn't forewarned: at nine weeks old, when he saw me filling out the adoption form, he jumped on the page and tried to grab the pen out of my hand.

He'll be two years old this month, and he doesn't break as many things as he used to. Now he just appropriates them. In the night, when we are sleeping, he roams the house looking for interesting stuff--paper clips, small ornamental objects, the contents of unsecured wastebaskets--then plays hockey with his findings until they disappear under the furniture.

His favorite toy is a long "snake" of fuzzy fabric attached to a stick. I can get him to chase it and do air-borne pirouettes for a minute or two, but then he catches it, kills it, and, with his head held high, drags it into the mud room.

The mud room is his territory. Not only does it house the litter box, but the hot water pipes run under the floor, which remains toasty winter and summer. The mud room is also where, a year before we got Telemann, a mouse squeezed through the hole where the heating pipes come into the cottage. My spouse stuffed the space with crumpled chicken wire and we've had no more mice. But that doesn't deter Telemann from spending hours staring fixedly at the spot where that mouse once entered, hoping to add him to his pile of loot.

True, my magpie cat is a pain sometimes (often). But when he jumps purring into my lap, gives me a slow blink, and says, I'm the BEST thing that's ever happened to you, I am almost tempted to believe him.
 

8 comments :

  1. I love this. And it makes me want a Telemann of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were very lucky that our cats were not destructive. It makes me a bit nervous about getting another one. But this did make me smile. Especially the ending. I love cats purring on my lap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An older cat might be less active and destructive. For me, a pile of shredded toilet paper and a toppled houseplant now and then are a small price to pay for Telemann's enigmatic presence.

      Delete
  3. I love hearing cat stories - and admire people who tolerate the quirks of felines and canines. There is a lot of work in taking care of pets, work that often falls to the woman of the household.

    I'd rather hear your stories; not sure I have the flexibility to put up with the less appealing aspects.

    I test myself with other people's cats: we get acquainted, and talk a bit, and they get whatever petting they allow - and then I've had my cat-fix for a while. I guess I didn't get that gene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know several people who get their cat and dog fixes from their friends' pets: all the satisfaction and none of the duties--kind of like grandchildren.

      Delete
    2. You're talking about me, right? I love other people's pets! And I truly hope that 2019 is the year that allows me enough time someday to meet Telemann!

      Delete
    3. I hope you get to meet Telemann too. I'll make sure to keep your belongings out of reach.

      Delete

Followers