Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Pearls


I’m pretty much o.k. with looking my age, whatever that means. I don’t dye my hair or have bits of my anatomy surgically lifted, but I do try, whenever possible, to avoid decking myself out in the emblems of past eras, such as bubble hairdos, pillbox hats, and cadaverously pale lipstick.

In the mid-twentieth century, as we girls reached puberty we were given a series of objects that marked our progress towards womanhood: first pair of heels, first girdle, first razor, first strand of pearls. The pearls—real, cultured, or artificial-- were usually gifts from parents or grandparents, a single strand to encircle our youthful necks on special occasions.

My generation didn’t get much use out of our pearls. By the mid-sixties, “serious” jewelry had given way to ethnic and artisanal adornments. We wore chandelier-like earrings that hung down to our clavicles, paper mache bracelets, and bizarre beads and amulets in lieu of pearls.

I still have my pearls. They sleep in a box, wrapped like mummies in a lace doily crocheted by my father’s mother. Sometimes I take them out and look at them. Almost certainly man-made, the pearls are a mellow ivory color, and they have kept their looks over the decades, without peeling or losing their luster. They feel heavy in my hand and, on the rare occasions when I put them on, pleasantly cool on my skin.

I like pearls. They go with everything. They are almost alive, “breathing” air and moisture and changing color with the years and the wearer’s chemistry. The better kind of artificial pearls get their luster from a concoction of fish scales slathered on a glass sphere, so they react to their environment in much the same way as their oyster-made cousins.

In Colette’s novel, Chéri, the courtesan Léa wears her magnificent “rope” of rosy pearls to bed with her lover. If I lived on a desert island, I too would wear my little strand round the clock. But I live in Vermont, where, for good reason, the atmosphere is ultra casual. It’s hard to dress in fancy clothes when you’re trudging through snow drifts in winter and deep mud in spring. In the all-too-short summer, Vermonters are frantically growing veggies in their gardens, and can’t be bothered to dress up.

The Green Mountain State, however, is nothing if not accepting of quirks and fancies of all kinds. You can wear an organza shift with your rubber boots to town meeting and nobody will bat an eye, so why don’t I wear my pearls? Sheer vanity is why. I’m afraid that they might be one of those markers of bygone eras, like the teased hair of the sixties or the pillow-sized shoulder pads of the eighties, that will telegraph my elderly status before I’ve had a chance to impress my audience with how relatively non-elderly I am.

It’s vanity on the same spectrum as hair rinses and eyelid tweaks. But at least the people who undergo these procedures are exchanging something they don’t like (gray hair and droopy eyelids) for something that they like better. I, on the other hand, am denying myself something I enjoy in order to avoid looking like Queen Elizabeth.

Given what I’ve seen on TV in recent weeks, however, looking like the Queen, who wears her near-century with pride, would be infinitely preferable to looking like my fellow septuagenarian, the man with the orange face.

Senior prom, 1962

11 comments :

  1. Wonderful! Made me laugh out loud! Delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please wear your pearls - for yourself!

    I had to laugh at your description of people not batting an eyelid regardless of what you wear.

    People at this CCRC are not particularly exotic. But I do like wearing a dress to dinner - and the husband hates that he has to put on long pants and a collared shirt just to dine.

    I don't have any pearls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People here wear their gardening clothes to dinner, if they're in the mood. Send us your husband if he'd like a break. He'll know me by my pearls.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy your columns, even the ones that are in a different world (the world of girls) than the one I grew up in (the world of boy). The differences in focus at that time were quite sharp. Today, we are out in the garden together, in our gardening clothes, and in mostly the same world, though Vermont and Tennessee have their differences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that those early differences left their mark. Once you've learned to sleep with a head full of rollers it changes you forever.

      Delete
  4. I think pearls look great with jeans. I like to wear them with my black J's Oyster t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just yesterday I was given a short string of pearls as an inheritance. I would never wear them as a choker - indeed I'm not sure they will fit around my neck. I'm already redesigning it in my mind, as a more contemporary piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It? Them? Clearly, I'm conflicted.

      Delete
    2. I like Indigo's take on pearls--wear them with jeans.

      Delete

Followers